When you are ready to remodel all or part of your Bastrop home, where should you start? If you have never completed a remodel, there are lots of things to think about and probably the most important thing is selecting the right contractor to complete the remodel. If you don’t know someone personally, where do you start to try and find someone? Sometimes even if you do know someone, that doesn’t mean they are the right person for the job. What are the best ways to find a contractor with experience in remodeling?
- Ask your friends and neighbors? When they answer, listen to who they recommend as well as anyone they say to stay away from. You are likely to hear as many horror stories as positive recommendations and you should pay equal attention to both.
- Ask your trusted real estate agent for a recommendation. We have a list of contractors that we regularly recommend and most other agents do as well.
- If you subscribe to a service like Angie’s List, look for recommended contractors there.
- Another place to ask for recommendations is at your local hardware store. They regularly interact with contractor’s buying supplies and may know which ones do the best job.
- Once you have several names, start your research. Call the contractors you are considering and discuss your project with them. Search for them online to see if they have a website or Facebook page promoting their business. Check the Better Business Bureau website to see what kind of rating they have and if they have had complaints from other people.
- Ask the contractors you are considering to see documentation of work they have done for other clients and for information to contact those clients. They aren’t likely to share names with you if their customers weren’t pleased but you can still ask questions and get a feeling for their experience and if they will be able to do what you are looking for.
- After you have narrowed down your list, ask friends again about the contractor you are considering. Even if they have never used them, they may have heard something good or bad from a friend that they can share with you.
- If a contractor demands full payment up front, that is a reason to stay away. It is common for them to expect a deposit as they will have to purchase materials to begin working but they shouldn’t expect full payment.
- Don’t go with the cheapest or the one that can do the work first. It is better to wait for the right person then have work done quickly by someone that is less qualified.
Good contractors are available but you will need to do the necessary research to find the right one for you. In addition to picking the right contractor, make sure you think hard about the changes you want to make to your home. Even if you are in your forever home, you will want to sell at some point and some features will turn off potential buyers. We are always available to discuss the changes you are considering to help you determine if they are right for you and your property.
The Janis Penick Team
RE/MAX Bastrop Area
Serving Bastrop, Cedar Creek and Smithville
Get your latest Home Value
Search for your New Home
Let’s Connect, Socially!
The Janis Penick Team is your ultimate real estate resource for Bastrop, Cedar Creek and Smithville, TX.