If a move is coming up in your future, you don’t have to be stressed out as you try to coordinate all of the details and do everything that needs to be done. It is important to be well organized and do as much as you can in advance of your move so that you have time to focus on the last minute things when needed and without getting overwhelmed. How do you even know where to start? Follow these simple steps to a successful move.
1. Start by gathering all of the packing supplies you will need. Find or purchase boxes, tape, markers and wrapping materials. When you are packing, it will really slow you down if you have to skip different things because you don’t have the right supplies so be prepared.
2. Research the actual move and make the necessary reservations you need. You will need to either book a mover or reserve a moving truck if you plan to do it yourself. In addition to the actual vehicle you will need, if you plan to move yourself, make sure you have people lined up to help you and possibly a backup if something falls through. If you will be putting items in storage as part of your move, make these arrangements as well.
3. Plan a schedule for packing. Determine which room you should pack each day or week so you get everything done on time. Don’t forget last minute packing that will need to take place as well. Designate a box or two for each room to pack the final items that you will be using right up until your move.
4. Spend an afternoon coordinating utilities and other transfers that need to be scheduled. Whether you need new utilities set up, things turned off or just a transfer, work on this several weeks in advance to ensure this is scheduled appropriately and allow yourself plenty of time to handle any paperwork requirements that are necessary.
5. Set aside a box for important items that you will need access to at all times. This box will need to stay with you and not get packed in a moving truck.
6. Moving time is the perfect time to purge. If you don’t want something or won’t have a place for it in your new home, sell it or donate it so that you don’t have to move it.
7. If your move is a long distance move, make sure to obtain copies of school and medical records to take with you.
8. If you have pets, make any special arrangements needed for them. It may be a good idea to arrange a friend to keep them for a day or two when the move is taking place. With the door open so much, if they are prone to escaping, having them somewhere safe may be helpful and give you one less thing to worry about.
9. Take time for meals and keep some snacks and drinks on hand during the move. Unfortunately, your move is likely to be stressful, if you are hungry on top of that, it will feel way worse than it is. Take short breaks when you need to so you feel better and this will make you more productive.
10. Don’t try to do it all yourself. Accept any help that is offered to you and ask for more help if needed.
If you need a recommendation of professionals to help you with your move, give us a call. Moving is hard but if you allow yourself the time you need to make preparations and use this list as your guide, it doesn’t have to be as bad as you think.
The Janis Penick Team
RE/MAX Bastrop Area
Serving Bastrop, Cedar Creek and Smithville
Get your latest Home Value
Search for your New Home
Let’s Connect, Socially!
The Janis Penick Team is your ultimate real estate resource for Bastrop, Cedar Creek and Smithville, TX.