When you are ready to sell your Bastrop home, you will want it to appeal to the greatest number of people possible. Currently, millennials (those born between 1980 and 2000) make up the largest segment of home buyers in most markets. You will want to ensure your home appeals to this part of the population if you want to give your home the best chance of selling. What does that mean for your home if you want it to attract a millennial buyer? Here are some of the things these buyers are more likely to be looking for.
- Open floor plans. This segment of the population is big on gathering with friends and family and want a large space they can use for this.
- Low maintenance housing choices like hardwood floors and granite countertops are big requests as this group would rather invest in something that will last and show wear slower than something like carpet.
- Nicely updated homes are important too. Because this age group is younger and hasn’t been working long enough to build significant savings in many cases, they will want a home that has had the big stuff done if it is an older home. Because bathrooms and the kitchen can be expensive areas to update, if yours have been updated recently, that will give your home an advantage during the selling process.
- Is there a space in your home that could be used as an office allowing people to work from home? More people than ever are working from home all or part of the time and want a place they can do that without having to work from the kitchen table.
- Is your home located near the highway making commuting convenient? Being near highways, schools, shopping and restaurants can offer a nice benefit to those looking at your home.
- Shoppers will definitely start their home search online so once you list your home, it is essential that the photos showcase your home perfectly. Work with your real estate agent or a professional stager so your home is inviting to buyers in photographs as well as in person.
- Technology is expected in homes by this generation. It doesn’t have to be extravagant but the basics are essential. While cable wiring was a feature to promote 20 years ago, Internet is a must have now.
Everyone has different taste and if your home doesn’t have all of these items, that doesn’t mean it won’t sell but if you aren’t ready to sell quite yet and are making some updates, consider focusing on changes that will appeal to the latest generation of millennials.
The Janis Penick Team
RE/MAX Bastrop Area
Serving Bastrop, Cedar Creek and Smithville
Get your latest Home Value
Search for your New Home
Let’s Connect, Socially!
The Janis Penick Team is your ultimate real estate resource for Bastrop, Cedar Creek and Smithville, TX.
Image courtesy of simon/pixabay.com